Wednesday, July 27, 2005

July 22 - OKISOLLO RAPIDS

Today I had to wait till 6:35 pm for the tides to turn to slack in the Upper and Lower Okisollo Rapids. Spent the day cleaning gear, stuff and myself, reading and relaxing. As always the wind is blowing and I slowly, inch by inch crawl up the shore. Since I had to start at such a late time today I pushed on till 10:15 pm to a camp behind Howe Island that I knew about.

July 23 - Blind Channel Resort
More Wind from the NW, I crossed Nodales Channel and travel up the west side of Thurlow Is. At Edith Point I get turned back by strong winds and a wild tidal rip. I hide in a bay about half a km back for 1 1/2 hours. I then sneak around Edith Point and finally get to paddle with the wind and current at my back. I travel 4 miles in 45 minutes to Blind Channel Resort. WOW, it took me 4 1/2 hours to go 5 miles to Edith Point and only 45 minutes to get over the next 4 miles. At the resort I am able to call Mary Lou, have a soda. I relax on the patio and end up talking to Glen, a retired fisherman who has sold his boat and license. The people at the resort had asked him to move to the resort and help out. He has a nice little house to live in and takes care of the place during the winter a basically has every summer off. Kayak across the bay to a little island smaller than my yard in Ballard.

July 24 - Rest day
Spend Sunday as a day of rest. Paddle over to the resort and have breakfast at the bakery.

Belted Kingfisher - I did not see him till he flew of the trees 30' from me. The Kingfisher flew straight at me and dove into the water only 10' away. A few seconds later it popped back to the surface and flew back to it's tree with a 3" fish. The first thing that he did once he got to the branch was to shake his head and pop up his crest feathers on top of his head. He look damned proud of himself.

No comments: