Sunday, May 22, 2005

TACOMA to SEATTLE May 22 – 23, 2005


P5230013
Originally uploaded by Au_Kalan.
I turned 40 this month. Old man with new aches and pains. Time for a mid-life crisis? Why not kayak to Alaska on a Solo Trip? Well here I was at sunrise at the Point Defiance Park getting ready for the next leg of my training route. Mary Lou had gotten up before sunrise to bring me here and take the car home, where she met me the next day at Golden Gardens, Seattle.

I started with the plan to ride the ebb tide down the west side of Vashon Island, Colvos Passage to Bainbridge Island. It turned out to be a wicked day of paddling, ripping currents, howling wind, rain and white-capped waves. It was so bad that I had to creep along the shoreline and fight the back eddies till I got to Blake Island.

No comments: